Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 hr
My grandma used to make this all the time when I was growing up. You can either make it into a loaf or into meatballs...excellent both ways!
- 1 1⁄2 lbs beef (it works with 1lb too)
- 1 egg
- 3⁄4 cup oatmeal
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 3⁄4 cup ketchup
- preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- I find it easiest and more to my taste to just toss the onion and green pepper in my little mini food processor(or chopper) because I don't like huge chunks of onion or green pepper.
- Mix everything together - except the ketchup.
- For the meatballs form into balls should make approximately 12 meatballs.
- Put into pan.
- Just before baking add the ketchup to the top, making sure to spread it all over.
- Bake for about an hour or until done. The ketchup turns a very dark red color, and doesn't look liquidy at all; that's when I usually know it's done.
My original review of 11/30/07 is below. I re-made this last night and included all the ingredients! LOL We liked this. A good classic mealoaf. Original review: Very good basic meatloaf. I doubled it (as I had 3 lbs of meat) and made 2 loaves. Obviously, it took longer to cook. I left off the milk (accidentally!) and it was still lovely. That's the reason I'm not assigning stars, though. Without milk it's a 4. I'll try it again, correctly, and then re-assign stars! Thanks for posting.
This is my Mom's exact meatloaf recipe, except she omits the peppers and uses a 5 oz. can of evaporated milk instead of 1/4 cup milk. And she doesn't bake with the ketchup on top, until the last 10 minutes. Thanks for posting a delicious family favorite!