Prep 40 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is a Russian recipe and it's thought to be easily digested & good for the elderly. I think it's quite tasty and I'm not even near elderly! :)
- 1 large onion, finely sliced
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 12 ounces potatoes, peeled and diced
- 3 3⁄4 cups beef stock
- 1 bay leaf
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
For the drop noodles
- 2⁄3 cup self-rising flour
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped, plus a little extra for garnish
- 1 egg, beaten
- chunks bread, to serve
- In a wide heavy-based pan, cook the onion in the butter gently for 10 minutes, or until it begins to brown.
- Add the diced potatoes and cook for 2-3 minutes, then pour in teh stock. Add the bay leaf, salt and pepper. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the noodles. Sift the flour and salt into a bowl and rub in the butter. Stir in the parsley, and add the egg to teh flour mixture and mix to a soft dough.
- Drop half-teaspoonfuls of the dough into the simmering soup. Cover nd simmer gently for a further 10 minutes. Ladle the soup into warmed soup bowls, scatter over with a little parsley, and serve immediately with chunks of bread.