Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
My grandfather made this wonderful divinity for our family every Christmas for as long as anyone can remember. I should mention that the recipe is a bit "weather-dependent"; don't make it on a rainy, damp day... It won't set up quite right unless the atmosphere is reasonably dry.
- 2 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups white corn syrup (Karo)
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 cup black walnut
- 2 egg whites, beaten stiff
- Mix sugar, syrup, and water; cook mixture until it forms a soft ball. Add extract if using.
- Divide into 2 equal portions.
- Fold the stiff egg whites into half the mixture VERY SLOWLY.
- Continue cooking the remaining half of the mixture until it forms a hard ball.
- Combine mixtures very slowly.
- Fold in nuts.
- Pour into pan immediately.