Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
My family has made stuffed cabbage rolls for 35 years or more, then as we grew older, we migrated to unstuffed cabbage casseroles. I always thought that our stuffed, and unstuffed casseroles always tasted rather bland, so I created this recipe, and the taste blew my mind. Be prepared to freeze some of this, cause it makes a ton. Your family will gobble this up. This is truly the best cabbage I have ever eaten.
- 26 ounces pasta sauce
- 26 ounces extra mild salsa or 26 ounces mild salsa
- 1 lb ground meat (or more)
- 2 large heads of cabbage
- salt and pepper
- 8 ounces water or 8 ounces chicken stock
- Core and slice cabbage 1/2" thick, and add to water in pot, and stir and cook till wilted.
- Meanwhile - chop ground meat fine as you fry till it's no longer red. Place cooked meat in a colander to drain grease. Then wash the ground meat with running hot faucet running water to remove rest of grease.
- Add ground meat, and sauce, and salsa to wilted cabbage, then simmer for 5-10 minutes. Serve over cooked white rice if you desire.
- NOTE: At this point it is done, but you could have used the medium, or hot salsa instead, but that is much too peppered for me.
- I used two 6" heads of cabbage, and the taste was strong and delicious, but I really believe that, with even larger heads of cabbage, and more meat if you choose = the taste wouldn't hardly deminish.
- If you decide to add white rice to the recipe in the pot, consider using converted rice that holds it's texture even after freezing = like Uncle Ben's.
- See my recipe for gumbo to get 13 minute boiled white rice recipe.
Cajun Joe, you da man! This recipe is fabulous, I am on a low salt, low-fat diet so I also substituted with ground turkey and did not add any salt or pepper after tasting. I did however add some of the salt-free McCormicks Multi Purose Seasoning, but it really did not need it. I think next time I make it I will try using both a low salt pasta sauce as well as salsa. I can't wait to make this for my picky grandsons, I think they will LOVE it. Thanks again Joe!
Oh oh....first time user so forgot to add my rating. Posted a review prior but didn't give you the 5 stars that your recipe deserved. Will ya ever forgive me, Cajun?
I made this for dinner last night and it is fabulous..i used ground turkey. It is quick, makes a lot and I will make again. Thanks for sharing this recipe.