Cajun Joe's Note:
My family has made stuffed cabbage rolls for 35 years or more, then as we grew older, we migrated to unstuffed cabbage casseroles. I always thought that our stuffed, and unstuffed casseroles always tasted rather bland, so I created this recipe, and the taste blew my mind. Be prepared to freeze some of this, cause it makes a ton. Your family will gobble this up. This is truly the best cabbage I have ever eaten.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Core and slice cabbage 1/2" thick, and add to water in pot, and stir and cook till wilted.
- 2Meanwhile - chop ground meat fine as you fry till it's no longer red. Place cooked meat in a colander to drain grease. Then wash the ground meat with running hot faucet running water to remove rest of grease.
- 3Add ground meat, and sauce, and salsa to wilted cabbage, then simmer for 5-10 minutes. Serve over cooked white rice if you desire.
- 4NOTE: At this point it is done, but you could have used the medium, or hot salsa instead, but that is much too peppered for me.
- 5I used two 6" heads of cabbage, and the taste was strong and delicious, but I really believe that, with even larger heads of cabbage, and more meat if you choose = the taste wouldn't hardly deminish.
- 6If you decide to add white rice to the recipe in the pot, consider using converted rice that holds it's texture even after freezing = like Uncle Ben's.
- 7See my recipe for gumbo to get 13 minute boiled white rice recipe.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Grand Slam Low Fat Unstuffed Cabbage
Serving Size: 1 (357 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 111.9
- Calories from Fat 16
- Total Fat 1.8 g
- Saturated Fat 0.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 701.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 22.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.0 g
- Sugars 14.7 g
- Protein 5.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: