This is an actual grand prize chili recipe and it comes from the "Texas bragging rights" recipe book.
- 3 lbs chuck roast, all fat removed and cut into bite size pieces
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 beef bouillon cubes
- 1 chicken bouillon cube
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 6 tablespoons chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- In large pot, sear meat in a small amount of oil.
- Add onion& garlic, cook until tender (do not burn).
- Add tomato sauce, paprika, cayenne pepper, bouillon cubes and enough water to cover.
- Simmer 1 1/2 hours.
- Add cumin, garlic powder, oregano, pepper and chili powder.
- Add salt to taste.
- Cook another 30 minutes or until meat is tender.
This is the best chili! I made it twice, the second time I substituted beer for the water and added some pureed chipotle peppers - it was even more awesome!
Simply the best chili! The only thing I changed was, I substituted beer for the water, as MG suggested. I let this simmer on the stove for a couple of hours, it smelled wonderful while it was cooking. I knew this was a winner, but BF has already requested it agian, and I just made it two days ago, so it was definately a hit. The flavor of this chili was just awesome! You MUST try this! Definately a keeper Cher!
Fantastic! Very complex layers of flavor. Couldn't be easier to make.