Recipe by DeSouter
A fantastic alternative to those yucky old fruitcakes/ door stops. Rich, buttery....a really great holiday gift that you will be proud to give, or to serve.
- 1 lb golden raisin
- 1 lb pecans (you can lightly toast them in the oven)
- 3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 lb sweet butter
- 2 cups sugar
- 6 egg yolks (save whites)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda, dissolved in
- 1 tablespoon warm water
- 1⁄4 cup Grand Marnier or 1⁄4 cup Cointreau liqueur
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees farenheit.
- Mix raisins, pecans, flour and salt.
- Cream butter and sugar.
- Add egg yolks, dissolved baking soda and Grand Marnier.
- Beat the egg whites until stiff.
- Combine all three mixtures and fold in the six egg whites.
- Bake for one hour.
- Recipe makes either:.
- one 10" tube pan.
- two 9" kugelhopf or bundt pans.
- two 9x5 loaf pans.
- three 8x4 loaf pans.
- Cool and wrap in foil.
- Refrigerate for 10 days.
- After a week you may wrap the cake in cheesecloth soaked in Grand Marnier and rewrap with foil.
- You may repeat this soaked cheesecloth step as often as you like, as it will make the cake dense-- and a bit boozy.