Prep 30 mins
Cook 24 hrs
Chocolate cake soaked in Grand Marnier with an orange mousse topping, garnished with whipped cream and orange segments.
- 1 (12 inch) chocolate sponge cake (1/4-inch high) or 1 (12 inch) ladyfingers
Grand Marnier Syrup
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup Grand Marnier
- 1⁄2 cup Grand Marnier or 1⁄2 cup orange liqueur
- 2 tablespoons cognac or 2 tablespoons other brandy
- 2 tablespoons unflavored gelatin
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 4 tablespoons orange zest (zest of 2 oranges)
- 3 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese
- 3⁄4 cup orange juice (juice of 1 1/2 oranges)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 2 cups heavy cream
- whipped cream, to garnish
- orange section, to garnish
- mint leaf, to garnish
- Place cake or lady fingers in the bottom of a springform pan.
- In a saucepan, over medium heat, stir water and sugar together until the sugar dissolves completely and mixture is hot.
- Remove from heat, and allow to cool completely.
- Stir in Grand Marnier.
- Drizzle surface of cake with Grand Marnier syrup, and set cake aside.
- In a small saucepan, combine Grand Marnier, Cognac, and gelatin.
- Stir over low heat until gelatin dissolves.
- In a food processor, blend sugar with orange zest for 1 minute.
- Add cream cheese; process until smooth (30 seconds).
- Add orange juice, lemon juice, and vanilla; process for another 30 seconds.
- Using an electric mixer, whip cream until fluffy.
- With processor running, add gelatin mixture to the cream cheese mixture through the feed tube of the processor, and blend until well mixed (5 seconds).
- Add whipped cream and pulse to combine (about 3 pulses).
- Pour mixture over cake; smooth surface.
- Refrigerate overnight.
- Garnish with whipped cream, orange segments, and mint leaves.
- Cut and serve.