Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
An orange tasting liqueur.
- 4 cups 80-proof vodka
- 4 oranges, juice and zest of
- 3 cups white sugar
- 3 ounces brandy flavoring
- orange food coloring
- 1 mixing jar (sterilized)
- Cut or scrape the orange colored part off the orange peel. This is the zest and is quite rich in aromatic essences. Be careful not to get any of the white pith of the peel since it is very bitter.
- Squeeze the oranges and strain the juice well.
- In a mixing jar place the orange juice, zest, vodka and the coriander seed.
- Cover and leave to infuse for two weeks.
- Drain through a coarse sieve and return to the mixing jar.
- Discard the residue.
- Add the brandy flavor and the sugar.
- Shake vigorously until the sugar is dissolved.
- Leave to clear. This liqueur is very slow to clear, so be patient.
- When clear, two weeks or more, decant and add orange food dye previously mixed with a small amount of the liqueur.
- This liqueur should be a dark orange color liqueur.
The directions are not clear. There is no mention of the amount of coriander needed and what does it mean "to clear"? Also, why use artificial food coloring and why not just use actual brandy instead of brandy flavor??