Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This french toast has an orange flavor that goes well with any fruit syrup or maple syrup. Make sure to let the bread soak up enough of the egg mixture and to cook it long enough to heat through.
- 1 loaf Cuban bread, 1 day old
- 6 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup orange juice
- 2 teaspoons orange zest
- 3 tablespoons Grand Marnier
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- Whisk together all the ingredients except the bread. Whisk until sugar dissolves.
- Slice bread at a slight angel about 1 inch thick.
- Heat large skillet to med heat and spray with non-stick cooking spray.
- Dip bread into egg mixture for approxamatly 30 seconds or until the egg mixture just soaks through.
- Place the bread pieces into the hot pan and cook for 3-5 minutes per side or until very golden brown on both sides.
- Serve with a dusting of powdered sugar and your choice of syrup.
I don't always enjoy orange flavor in cooking, but here it was perfectly delicious. Served with pure maple syrup and bacon.
I really enjoyed this fabulous French Toast recipe. The citrus burst really made it special. I drizzled maple syrup on top, but I think it would be greated topped with orange marmalade or any fruit preserve for that matter. I couldn't find Cuban bread, so I used thick sliced Texas Toast bread, and it worked quite well for us. This something I would feel quite comfortable serving company for for a special occasion breakfast, because it looks so appetizing...and it is! Thanks for sharing your recipe, Chef Jean. Made for Fall 2011 PAC.
I omitted the orange zest but other than that, I followed the recipe. It's a real treat. We loved it. Thanks Chef Jean. Made for Market tag