Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
The chocolate garnish on these luscious cupcakes marries well with the Grand Marnier. If chocolate is your passion, serve the cupcakes with a pitcher of dark chocolate sauce on the side
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon finely grated orange rind
- 1 teaspoon Grand Marnier or 1 teaspoon orange juice
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- 2 tablespoons Grand Marnier or 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 3 ounces semisweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon shortening
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- Grease 12-cup muffin pan or line with baking cups.
- In large bowl, beat butter and 3/4 cup sugar at medium speed 5 to 6 minutes or until light and fluffy.
- Beat in egg, 1 tablespoon orange peel and 1 teaspoon Grand Marnier.
- In medium bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- At low speed, beat sour cream into butter mixture alternately with flour mixture.
- Spoon batter into muffin pan, filling two-thirds full.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool on wire rack 10 minutes.
- Remove from pan; cool completely.
- Meanwhile, in small saucepan, heat 1/3 cup sugar and orange juice over medium heat until sugar dissolves.
- Remove from heat; stir in 2 tablespoons Grand Marnier.
- Poke holes with toothpick in top of each cupcake.
- Using pastry brush, brush tops liberally with Grand Marnier glaze.
- Place chocolate in small heavy resealable plastic bag; add shortening and seal.
- Place in pan of simmering water; turn off heat.
- Allow bag to sit several minutes; remove from water.
- Smooth melted chocolate by working bag with hands.
- Cool 5 minutes.
- Cut off tiny corner of bag; drizzle chocolate over cupcakes.
Lovely hint of orange, nice texture and easy to make. Thank you!
This is a wonderful recipe, easy to follow, and the cupcakes are delicious. I added slightly more orange zest than called for - just love citrus, and made the topping in the microwave, but otherwise followed the recipe. I just spooned the topping over the cakes because I tend to be challenged by decorative effects. Even made by me, these still look quite nice, I think, though they won't last long. Thank you very much for this recipe.