Prep 45 mins
Cook 0 mins
From Epicurious, posted for a recipe request. I'm guessing at the prep time.
- 6 large egg yolks
- 7 tablespoons sugar
- 2 1⁄4 cups whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons Grand Marnier
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Whisk egg yolks and 7 tablespoons sugar in medium bowl until thick and pale yellow, about 2 minutes.
- Bring cream to a simmer in heavy small saucepan.
- Gradually whisk hot cream into yolk mixture.
- Whisk in Grand Marnier and vanilla; divide custard among six 3/4-cup custard cups.
- Arrange cups in 13x9x2-inch metal pan. Pour enough hot water into pan to come halfway up sides of cups.
- Bake custards until gently set in center, about 25 minutes.
- Remove cups from water and refrigerate uncovered until cold, at least 3 hours. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and keep chilled.)
- Preheat broiler. Place custards on baking sheet. Sprinkle 1/2 tablespoon brown sugar onto each. Broil until sugar starts to bubble and color, turning sheet often to prevent burning, about 2 minutes. Chill until topping is hard and brittle, at least 1 hour and up to 6 hours.