Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
From Bon Appetite.
- 4 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 5 1⁄2 ounces chopped bittersweet chocolate, not unsweetened
- 3 tablespoons Grand Marnier or 3 tablespoons orange liqueur
- For brownies: Preheat oven to 325°F Line 8x8-inch metal baking pan with foil. Melt unsweetened chocolate and unsalted butter in heavy medium saucepan over low heat, stirring until smooth; cool slightly.
- Whisk sugar, grated orange peel, vanilla extract and salt into chocolate mixture.
- Whisk in eggs 1 at a time, then continue whisking until mixture is velvety.
- Add flour and whisk just to blend. Transfer batter to prepared metal baking pan.
- Bake brownies until top is just springy to touch and toothpick inserted into center comes out with moist crumbs attached, about 35 minutes.
- Cool in pan on rack 10 minutes.
- If necessary, press down on raised brownie edges to level top. Cool in pan completely.
- For topping: Bring cream and orange peel to simmer in heavy small saucepan. Remove from heat.
- Add chocolate and whisk until smooth. Whisk in Grand Marnier. Refrigerate until thick enough to spread, stirring occasionally, about 45 minutes.
- Spread topping over brownies. Refrigerate until topping is cold, about 1 hour. (Can be prepared 1 week ahead.
- Cover brownies tightly and keep refrigerated.) Using foil as aid, lift brownies from pan; trim edges. Cut into 25 squares.
- Let brownies stand at room temperature 30 minutes before serving.
ABSOLUTELY LOVED THESE, especially with the orange flavor in both the brownie & the topping! Definitely didn't have to worry about these going stale, 'cause we couldn't leave them alone! What a great recipe to keep around! [Tagged, made & reviewed as part of my chocolate theme in the Comfort Cafe]