Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
One of my adopted recipes.
- 6 -7 slices Italian bread, leftover (You can use 6-7 slices sourdough bread instead)
- 2 cups broccoli or 2 cups spinach or 2 cups zucchini, prepared
- 4 -5 sliced mushrooms
- 1⁄2 cup onion, diced
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, grated
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped (1 tsp dried)
- 5 eggs
- 1 quart half-and-half cream (substitute part or all milk if preferred)
- 6 tablespoons butter
- To Prepare Vegetables: Broccoli: Cut into thin slices.
- Peel woody stems.
- Blanche in boiling water for 2- 3 minutes depending on the size of your pieces.
- Plunge into cold water.
- Drain and reserve.
- Spinach or Chard: Use frozen chopped spinach or chop fresh greens and blanch about 1 minute in boiling water.
- Drain thoroughly in colander.
- Zucchini: Slice or dice and sauté with onions and mushrooms.
- To Assemble: Sauté the onions, mushrooms and zucchini (if selected) and mix with prepared vegetable of choice.
- Mix in fresh basil.
- Set aside.
- With a wire whisk beat the eggs, add the milk and/or cream and season carefully with salt and pepper.
- Remove the crusts from the bread.
- Butter the bottom and sides of an 8 ½" x 11" ovenproof pan and cut enough bread to cover the bottom.
- (cut pieces to fit snuggly) Spread vegetables over bread and top with grated cheeses.
- Pour egg mixture over all.
- Top with remaining bread.
- Pressing it slightly into egg mixture.
- Dot with butter, Cover and refrigerate overnight or for a minimum of 2 hours.
- Bake at 350 degrees until custard is set and dish is browned on top.
- (50- 60 minutes).
I used this recipe just as a guide, and made mine with onion, mushrooms, zucchini, and sausage. We loved it! And I love a make-ahead breakfast. Although I made many changes, I'm rating it with all due respect.
I made this for a client who raved and raved. I did add a few items - sorry for taking the liberty but what'dya expect - I'm a chef! :) I added bacon & sausage as well as bell peppers. I also had some leftover ricotta cheese so I mixed that with the mozzarella & parmesan & dotted that all over the strata. THanks for a great recipe.
I used the spinach, onions & zucchini. Catering clients love this!