Prep 1 hr 30 mins
Cook 35 mins
This is a simple one rise bread. It makes great sandwich bread and has a wonderful nutty flavor when toasted.
- 1 1⁄4 cups bread flour
- 1 1⁄4 cups whole wheat flour
- 1⁄2 cup soy flour
- 1⁄4 cup oat flour
- 1⁄4 cup ground flax seeds
- 1⁄4 cup scottish oatmeal
- 2 teaspoons fast rising yeast
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 cup nonfat milk
- 1 egg white
- 2 tablespoons walnut oil
- 1 tablespoon wheat gluten (optional)
- Bring milk to 100 degrees (try microwaving 20 seconds on high). Sprinkle the yeast over the milk, let stand 5 minutes. Stir to dissolve.
- Mix flours, flax, oatmeal and salt in a large bowl. make a well in the center and pour in dissolved yeast.
- Draw enough flour into the yeast to make a soft paste. Cover and let paste "sponge" for 20 minutes.
- Combine egg white and oil in a glass measuring cup, wisk to incorporate. add enough water to make 1 cup total.
- Slowly pour water mixture into flour to form a firm, moist dough. You may need to add more flour if the dough is to sticky, do this 1 tsp at a time.
- Turn dough onto floured surface and knead about 10 minutes. flatten dough stightly with your hands and shape the dough for a loaf pan.
- Grease a 8" x 4" loaf pan with oil. place dough seam side down. cover with a dish towel and proof for 60 minutes.
- OPTIONAL after 30 minute proof: With a sharp knife or razor blade make a 1/2 inch slit down the center of the loaf.
- Preheat oven to 425, bake loaf for 20 minutes, reduce heat to 400 and bake an additional 15 minutes.
- NOTE: This can all be done with your upright mixer and a dough hook.