Prep 10 mins
Cook 2 hrs
I remember gran making it when I was a kid. Nice simple recipe, but o'so good.
- 1 lb beef mince
- 1 cup breadcrumbs (Wholemeal bread)
- 1 pinch salt
- 1⁄4 lb bacon, chopped in to small cubes
- 1 egg (don't beat the egg)
- Mix in bowl the Mince, Bacon and Breadcrumbs. Drop in the egg (not Beating). Mix well.
- Put mixture in bowl or loaf tin. Do not press down mixture too much to give a light texture to the roll. Cover with greaseproof paper and tie with string.
- Place in pan with enough water to come half-way up the container.
- Steam for 2 1/2 hours, slowly.
- See that the pan does not get dry. Add boiling water when needed.
- Leave to go cold before serving with a nice green salad.
- Would also make a nice filling for sandwiches.
I could not find my gran's recipe for this meat roll. It was a favourite, but this was pretty much as I remember it. Thank you so much for sharing it.