Recipe by Iron Bloomers
Old-fashioned batter bread recipe that's quick & super, warm from the oven.
Top Review by Bergy
Wonderful recipe. I made it this morning for Sunday Brunch and two of us ate nearly the whole loaf (we had omelets too). The loaf has a lovely crunchy crust and soft inside. I was worried that 3 teaspoons of caraway seed may be over powering but noi way Gram knew just the right touch. The raisin and caraway give it a really subtle flavor. I mixed 1/3 cup Oat Bran in with the flour, including it in the 1 1/2 cup measurement. The loaf stuck a little to the bottom of the pan (this may be because of the oat bran or perhaps I didn't grease the pan enough). Next time I will slip some parchment paper under the loaf. Thanks Barb
- 1 cup raisins
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 1 egg
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 3 teaspoons caraway seeds
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven 350°.
- Grease 8-inch round (or regular loaf pan).
- Place raisins in microwave safe bowl. Cover with water; micro on high 1 minute. Cover bowl with plate allowing raisins to plump.
- Cool, drain and dust with 1 tablespoon flour.
- Cream shortening and sugar.
- Add egg mixing well.
- Stir flour, baking powder and salt together.
- Add to creamed mixture along with raisins, caraway seeds and milk.
- Mix together briefly till moistened.
- Pour batter into pan.
- Bake at 350° for 45-55 minutes till bread tests done with toothpick.
- Cool 10 minutes remove to wire rack and cool completely.