Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
This recipe I got from my Grammy. My family loved her ham gravy. My family thinks this taste great. As noted below my Grammy said to remove any lumps that might form while making this gravy. My Grammy always called the lumps "Lumps Of Love".
- Bring ham drippings to a boil.
- Mix flour and water to make a runny paste.
- Pour flour/water mix in boiling ham drippings a little at a time making sure to be whisking the same time. Whisk until thickened.
- Add salt and gravy master to taste and color.
- Note: To make a good amount of drippings add 1/2 cup water to the pan the ham is being cooked inches Start with 1-2 drops gravy master then add more if needed as this is very dark in color. If the gravy has lumpy strain in a strainer to remove the lumps.
Everyone at Easter dinner loved this gravy. I had never made gravy from ham drippings, but I definitely will be making this again. I did not use Gravy Master as I did not have it and it is Easter so the stores are closed. I don't recall ever seeing it, so I am wondering if it is a regional thing. I suppose I could have used Kitchen Bouquet to darken the gravy, but no one seemed to mind. My only piece of advice would be to perhaps hold off on the salt until you have tasted the gravy. Depending on the saltyness of you ham and resulting drippings you may want to hold off. Thanks for sharing!
Very nice recipe. Thank you very much. My Easter ham will now have gravy to compliment it.