Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
This sauce is one of many recipes claiming originallity from the various "original Flint Coney Island Dog" restaurants throughout the Flint area. The basic difference between this and the New York "Coney Island Sauce" is that the Flint version is a much drier version than the wet New York style. This recipe's history was that it was obtained ingredient by ingredient from a freind of my wife's grandmother who worked at one of the "original" Coney Island restaurants... as with many of these types of foods... this recipe is a "SECRET."
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef, browned
- 6 ounces tomato paste
- 1⁄2 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 1⁄4 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 6 ounces water
- 3 beef hot dogs, chopped very fine (Kogel's Vienna Dogs if you can get them, order them online)
- 2 small onions, chopped very fine
- Prepare all the dry ingredients.
- Brown the ground beef and drain.
- Mix in all the remaining ingredients.
- Heat for 30 minutes and here's the secret --
- let it rest for at least 30 minutes before serving or better yet over night.