Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is a tasty way to stretch a little meat a long way and is easy to prepare...both important considerations when feeding a large family!
- 14.79 ml sesame oil (or you can use any vegetable oil)
- 453.59 g round steak, thinly sliced into strips
- 1 bunch celery, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 3 large green peppers (you can use mix colors for a nice presentation)
- 226.79 g yellow onion, sliced into strips
- 4.92 ml black pepper
- 0.59 ml red pepper flakes
- 4.92 ml powdered ginger
- 4.92 ml salt (or to taste)
- 14.79 ml brown sugar
- 1.23 ml thyme leaves (optional)
- 354.88 ml water or 354.88 ml beef broth
- 439.41 g diced tomatoes (undrained)
- 59.14 ml cornstarch
- 59.14 ml soy sauce
- 59.14 ml water
- Sear steak strips in oil in a large skillet or dutch oven.
- Add celery, peppers, and onion to the meat in the skillet and stir fry for 5 minutes.
- Add the black pepper, pepper flakes, ginger, salt, brown sugar, thyme, and water. Turn the heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes. Then add the can of tomatoes.
- Mix the brown sugar, cornstarch, soy sauce, and 1/4 cup of water together and then add to the meat and vegetables. Stir gently while the sauce thickens. Serve over rice or mashed potatoes.
Easy, and flavorful.....what more could you ask for. Opted to add a bit more red pepper flakes, and ONLY had 1 green pepper, and 1 red pepper, I also ONLY had ground thyme rather than leaves, but all turned out gr8 thnx 4 the post
Made PAC Fall 08. Wonderful! Loved all the veggies in this dish...I used a can of diced tomatoes with green chilies and it made it that lil bit spicier...just the way we like it. :)
*******NOTE: Mine took a lot longer than the recipe says to get nice & tender. Probably about an hour and fifteen minutes.***** I've been looking for a really good pepper steak recipe, and this is it!! A few changes I made: I left out the thyme. Didn't sound (to *me* anyway) like it really fit. I left out the crushed red pepper flakes and decided to try sriracha sauce cos I had some and wanted to try it. If you should decide to do that, go REALLY easy on the sriracha. ;0) Like, less than 1/8 tsp. I also added a big clove of garlic. Everything needs some garlic. I had a two lb package of round steak so I just used all of it; hence, I also put in more beef broth. Also used two green peppers, and a big onion. Makes a good amount. Excellent!!! Thanks Likkel!