Prep 10 mins
Cook 4 hrs
This is a mild recipe, but you can make it as spicy as you want by increasing the chili powder, cumin, and adding sliced jalapenos with the other fresh veggies.
- 1 whole onion, diced
- 1 yellow pepper, diced
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 2 elephant garlic cloves
- 1 (16 ounce) can dark red kidney beans, rinsed
- 1 (16 ounce) canlight red kidney beans, rinsed
- 1 (16 ounce) can red beans, rinsed
- 1 (16 ounce) can stewed tomatoes
- low-sodium V8 juice
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon tapatio hot sauce
- In one large pot, cook peppers, onion and garlic until soft.
- Add beans, stewed tomatoes, spices, and enough V8 to cover the vegetables. You can control the thickness of the chili by the amount of V8 you add.
- Simmer covered on low heat for 2-4 hours (the longer the better).