Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is a taco salad my Grammy Tinker has been making for 35+ years. It is always a hit at picnics, barbecues & family get togethers.
- 1 head iceberg lettuce, shredded
- 425.24 g can dark red kidney beans, drained
- 236.59 ml shredded monterey jack pepper cheese (etc.) or 236.59 ml cheddar cheese (etc.) or 236.59 ml monterey jack cheese (etc.) or 236.59 ml colby (etc.)
- 236.59 ml doritos nacho cheese flavored tortilla chips
- 1 red onion, finely diced
- 2 tomatoes, finely diced
- 120.48 g can black olives, sliced
- 453.59 g lean ground beef, browned & drained or 453.59 g ground turkey
- 1 tomato bouillon with chicken flavor (Knorr brand)
- 14.79 ml chili powder
- 14.79 ml paprika
- 9.85 ml ground cumin
- 2.46 ml dried oregano
- 4.92 ml onion powder
- 4.92 ml garlic powder
- 118.29 ml water
- 453.59 g bottle Catalina dressing (Light, Honey, or Regular)
- After browning & draining the Ground Beef, return to skillet. Add Water, Bouillon Cube & Seasonings. Cook over medium-high heat until water has evaporated. Set aside or move to the freezer until seasones meat is cool.
- Toss all ingredients (except Chips & Dressing) in a large serving bowl.
- Just before serving, add Chips & Dressing to taste.
We enjoy taco salads and very much enjoyed this one. We did add slices of avocado, without which it seemed incomplete, but otherwise followed the recipe exactly. Red beans and red onions with spiced meat are the accents in this salad. The spice selection for the meat is worth the effort by itself! Catalina dressing, probably the fourth choice of everyone here, was a good match in this case; some of us also tried it with blue cheese and that was good too. Made for Pick A Chef Spring 2008.