Recipe by flipchef
My mom is very creative. This is usually a recipe used in another Filipino dish, but she decided to use lettuce to wrap the filling. My mom is the best cook ever!
Top Review by Queen Roachie
Great idea to use jicama! I would have never thought to sub that for water chestnuts, but it was fantastic. I left out the celery and cabbage, cause hubby doesn't care for them, and added more jicama and carrots to make up. Used ground beef, but will try with the turkey next time. Great Super Bowl food for us low carbers.
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 lb ground turkey (beef can be used)
- 1 cup of chopped onion (1 medium size onion)
- 1⁄2 lb carrot (short julienned)
- 1⁄2 cup fish sauce (patis)
- 1 lb green beans (fresh chopped)
- 1 small jicama, chopped
- 1⁄2 lb celery, chopped
- 1⁄2 small cabbage, chopped
- 1 lb lettuce, separated
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 cup water
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3 garlic cloves, pressed
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in a large pot on medium heat.
- Brown the garlic in the oil.
- Add ground turkey and brown it.
- Add onions and carrots.
- Cook until onions are transparent.
- Add fish sauce (patis).
- Add green beans, jicama, and celery.
- Cook until vegetables are done.
- Remove the pan from the heat.
- Add the cabbage and mix until the cabbage is wilted.
- Serve wrapped in lettuce with sauce.
- Mix cornstarch and water over medium low heat.
- Add the sugar and soy sauce.
- Continue to heat and mix until the sauce is thick.
- Add pressed garlic to taste.