Recipe by joanna.l.wilson
This is like the old version of Health Nut which was much more dense than the new fluffier one.
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package yeast
- 2 cups warm water
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 cups white flour
- 1⁄2 cup hot water
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons shortening
- 1 cup pecans, chopped
- 4 cups whole wheat flour
Directions See How It's Made
- Soften yeast in 2 cups of warm water. Add sugar, salt, and white flour. Let rest in warm place until light and bubbly.
- Combine 1/2 cup hot water, brown sugar, shortening, and let cool to luke warm.
- Add pecans to brown sugar mixture. Then add brown sugar mixture into white sugar mixture.
- Add whole wheat flour to mixture and mix until smooth.
- Knead on lightly floured board until smooth and elastic, about 10 minutes.
- Place in greased bowl, turning to make sure entire bread surface is greased. Cover and keep warm in draft free place until bread has doubled in size.
- Cut dough in half. Knead again. Place dough into 2 greased loaf pans. Let rise until dough has doubled.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 50 minute For a crispy top, brush with butter after 40 minutes.