Prep 0 mins
Cook 50 mins
This is like the old version of Health Nut which was much more dense than the new fluffier one.
Make and share this Grammy's Health Nut Bread recipe from Food.com.
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package yeast
- 2 cups warm water
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 cups white flour
- 1⁄2 cup hot water
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons shortening
- 1 cup pecans, chopped
- 4 cups whole wheat flour
- Soften yeast in 2 cups of warm water. Add sugar, salt, and white flour. Let rest in warm place until light and bubbly.
- Combine 1/2 cup hot water, brown sugar, shortening, and let cool to luke warm.
- Add pecans to brown sugar mixture. Then add brown sugar mixture into white sugar mixture.
- Add whole wheat flour to mixture and mix until smooth.
- Knead on lightly floured board until smooth and elastic, about 10 minutes.
- Place in greased bowl, turning to make sure entire bread surface is greased. Cover and keep warm in draft free place until bread has doubled in size.
- Cut dough in half. Knead again. Place dough into 2 greased loaf pans. Let rise until dough has doubled.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 50 minute For a crispy top, brush with butter after 40 minutes.