Recipe by Desperada
When I was small, I would spend the night with my great-grandparents, sleeping in a cloud of a feather bed, covered with a gorgeous hand made quilt. And in the morning she would make corn cakes for breakfast, served with a pat of butter on top and homemade jam or preserves.
Top Review by Jenius
So quick and easy! I actually cooked these in a skillet with half the butter and 1/2 vegetable oil. They turned out flawlessly on my very first try. Will definitely be making these often!
- 1 cup white cornmeal
- 2 cups flour
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1⁄2 cups buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3 tablespoons oil
- butter (for frying)
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix together dry ingredients.
- Mix the wet ingredients in a separate bowl.
- Add the two mixtures together. Do not overmix.
- Melt 3 T butter in an iron skillet over medium high heat.
- Pour batter into the skillet, making the cakes about the size of a large biscuit. Cook until golden brown and flip over.
- Serve with butter and jam.