Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
This recipe has been in my family since about 1930.. Originally started by my Great Grandmother and passed down through my family over the years.. While it may resemble Hamburger Helper, its been around a lot longer than that and is much better tasting.. I hope you enjoy it..
- Cook macaroni according to package directions and drain.
- In a large skillet, brown hamburger, breaking it up into pea sized pieces, until its about 1/2 done.
- Add diced onion, 1 teaspoon of salt, and 1/2 teaspoon of pepper and saute until the onion is tender and hamburger is cooked.
- In a large bowl, mix throughly, hamburger, elbow macaroni, tomato soup, and the remaining salt and pepper.
- Pour mixture into a 9 x 9 x 2 baking dish and top with the grated cheese.
- Bake at 350 deg for 35 minutes, or until the cheese starts to turn crusty.
- Serve with veggie of choice and dinner rolls.
It was OK. It makes quite a few dirty dishes in prep. We thought it could use more flavor. I cooked recipe as is and no one was too impressed. We also thought there was too much pepper and salt. And found it to be a bit dry it needed more moisture. I love the idea of the tomato soup but I think a little more would have been better. I doubt I will make it again. It was still worth a try and I wanted to say thanks for posting the recipe.
Delious !!! Thanks for sharing