Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
My mom is famous for this soup - it's fantastic!
- 1 bunch broccoli, cut up
- 1⁄2 cup diced celery
- 1⁄2 cup diced carrot
- 1 quart water
- 2 -4 chicken bouillon cubes
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1 quart milk (2% or whole is best)
- 4 ounces shredded cheddar cheese
- Combine broccoli, celery, carrots, water, and chicken bouillon in a large soup pot. Boil 20-30 minutes.
- While vegetables are cooking - In a saucepan, saute onion in butter until tender.
- Add cornstarch and flour to butter mixture, stirring until browned.
- Gradually add milk and cook, stirring constantly, until thick. Add shredded cheese and stir until melted.
- Add the cheese sauce to the broccoli mixture and stir until well combined. Simmer until heated through.
This soup was a pleasure to make just because it is so colorful. The fact that it has wonderful flavor does not hurt it this reviewer one bit either. Here are a few notes on the way I fixed my roux since megnbrycesmom had some trouble with hers. I put the onions in a small saucepan because I wanted them to sweat as they sauteed. I then added the flour and starch and yes it did get very pasty. But I continued to cook the roux for 2 minutes. Mind you that was not the easiest thing to do but it can be done. I proceeded to add 2 cups of milk into the pan and whisked the best I could since it was a small saucepan. I then strained that into the soup pot with a Tupperware plastic strainer since it had large holds. (Do not use a fine strainer.) Added the onions and what lumps were left back into the saucepan along with the last 2 cups of milk and just went on whisking out those lumps. This worked great! Added the cheese and now I'm enjoying a very nice bowl of broccoli soup with no floury after taste. Thanks Grammy :-) I hope this review will be helpful to those who might not be use to making a thick roux. Made for *1 2 3 Hit Wonders* game 2007
I just love this soup! I used skim milk, but added lots of cheddar and seasoned with salt and pepper to our personal taste. This is an excellent cheesy broccoli soup that I will be sure to make again! Thank you so much for posting your mom's famous recipe, loof!
I've been eating a lot of soup of late and this is right up there in my top fav's. I chopped the veggies quite small, used 2% milk and old cheddar for a delicious and creamy tasting bowl of goodness. I'd glad I made the full amount. :D