Recipe by Aroostook
Grammy Mae used to sell these pies out her back door to a stream of customers every Saturday.
Top Review by Kim D.
What a delicious pie! I made this pie to serve on Memorial Day along with BBQ burgers, potato salad and baked beans. The pie got lots of compliments. The lemon filling came out a little runny, but I think I probably should have cooked it a little longer. It had a delicious flavor! The meringue turned out wonderfully! I usually don't do good with meringue, but it turned out beautifully! I will definitely try this pie again and cook the filling a little longer. I will also use this meringue recipe on other pies that call for meringue! It's a keeper! Thanks Barbara!!!
- 5 large egg yolks, at room temperature
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1⁄2 cup lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon, zest of
- 1 tablespoon real butter
- 5 large eggs, whites at room temperature
- 10 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 tablespoon marshmallow creme
- 1 teaspoon vanilla or 1 teaspoon lemon flavoring
Crust (Makes 4)
- 5 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 lb shortening or 1 lb lard
- 1 egg
- 3⁄4 cup water
Directions See How It's Made
- Crust: Mix first three ingredients until the texture resembles corn meal.
- Beat one egg in a 1 cup measuring cup.
- Fill cup with water to make 1 full cup.
- Mix well, chill for 15 minutes.
- Roll out 4 crusts for deep dish pies.
- Place in deep dish pie pan.
- Crimp edges to rim of pan and prick dough with a fork until the crust is covered w/ punctures.
- Bake at 425 F for 18 minutes or until browned (Freeze the unused crusts for later use).
- Filling: Mix yolks and sugar/cornstarchl in a heavy bottomed sauce pan until lemon colored.
- Slowly add lemon juice, zest, butter and hot water.
- Cook over medium heat until thick (Stir constantly).
- Set aside until cooled.
- Pour filling into baked pie shell.
- Marshmellow Meringue: Beat all ingredients until soft peaks form.
- Pour over filled pie and bake at 400 degrees F until browned.
- Watch closely as this doesn't take long.