Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
Dated 6/21/78, this is a victory for my mother, since no one else got the famed brownie recipe. These are amazing. They must be done by hand in order to insure the proper texture. Just think, you’re pre-emotively burning calories!
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted
- 3⁄4 cup sifted cake flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup chopped nuts
- Work shortening with spoon until fluffy and creamy.
- Gradually add sugar, while continually working with spoon until light.
- Add eggs and the melted chocolate.
- Mix and sift the flour, baking powder and salt, and add, along with the nuts.
- Mix well, and turn into a greased 8x8 square pan.
- Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes.
These were awesome! Nice and fudgy. Easy to prepare. Made without nuts for a friend who raved about them. I will make these again, with nuts for my DH, who gave this recipe his stamp of approval.