Prep 10 mins
Cook 50 mins
This is a tasty old fashioned recipe for bread pudding that belonged to my grandmother. Its not as soggy as most bread puddings which in my opinion makes it that much better and its easy- bonus!!!
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Pack sugar in a buttered casserole dish.
- Cut bread in small pieces and place buttered side down on sugar.
- Mix the egg, milk and vanilla together.
- Pour it over the bread.
- Put in the oven and bake for approximately 50 minutes until nicely browned and bubbly around the edges.
- Serve as is or with cream and raisins.
This is a very nice basic bread pudding recipe. I thoroughly enjoyed dipping down through the bread to get to the caramel sauce that forms on the bottom. I did feel there was more custard than could be absorbed by 2 pieces of bread, so added a couple more slices and still wound up with a very wet pudding. So in the future I might use more bread or less milk. I made this in 4 individual ramekins and baked for 65 minutes. I added walnuts and a touch of bourbon to 2 of them and think the recipe lends itself well to whatever additions one might wish to make.