1 hr 20 mins
Linda's Busy Kitchen's Note:
My grandmother's mother and father were both off the boat from Sweden in the late 1800's. This is my grandmother's recipe from her mother, so if your looking for a REAL Swedish Meatball recipe, here it is, straight from the home land! I had this recipe many times growning up, as my mom loved to cook it for us... This is GREAT served over cooked buttered noodles, as a main dish with veggies, or over potatoes. I LOVE IT both ways!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Mix hamburger and bread crumbs.
- 2Beat egg in milk, and then add to meat mixture.
- 3Add onion, salt, pepper, and nutmeg, and mix well. Form into 1" balls.
- 4Put about 1/4 cup of oil in a frying pan. Put on high to heat, then turn down to med. heat, and put in meatballs.
- 5Cook on all sides, browning until they are almost burned, but please don't burn them, just brown them well.
- 6When done take out meatballs, and put in a dish.
- 7To Make Gravy:.
- 8Put 2 cups water in the frying pan, along with the juices. Let come to a boil.
- 9Meanwhile, in a cup put in 3 T. cornstarch, and fill the rest with COLD water, and mix.
- 10Add to the frying pan juices to thicken into a gravy, adding a little at a time, until you get desired thickness.
- 11When gravy is on the thick side, add meatballs.
- 12Let cook on med. heat for 15-20 minutes.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Grammie Miller's Swedish Meatballs
Serving Size: 1 (124 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 144.3
- Calories from Fat 53
- Total Fat 5.9 g
- Saturated Fat 2.5 g
- Cholesterol 74.8 mg
- Sodium 734.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 12.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.7 g
- Sugars 1.1 g
- Protein 9.7 g