Recipe by DebS #2
These are a family tradition - keep the dough chilled and roll out using enough flour to keep the dough from sticking. These turn out flaky and crisp. You can omit the nutmeg and use a little more vanilla. Baking time varies depending on the size of the cookie.
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Cream butter, shortening and sugar until fluffy.
- Add eggs, vanilla and nutmeg and combine.
- Add dry ingredients and combine.
- Refrigerate dough.
- Take out enough dough to work with at one time.
- Flour rolling pin and rolling surface.
- Roll thin and cut out.
- Bake at 350 for about 7-8 minutes, watch closely!
- Frost with Icing of powdered sugar, milk and vanilla.
- Sprinkle with colored sugars.