Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 50 mins
A great dish on those cold nights of winter, when you want something hot out of the oven. This old fashioned recipe is one my gram made often, and it is WONDERFUL! Try it, and see for yourself!
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 1⁄2 lemon (half of that cut into slices for garnish, and the other half to be squeezed into mixture)
- 1 (12 1/2-13 ounce) can tuna
- 4 slices white bread, crumbled
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen spinach, thawed, and drained well
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream (4 oz. container)
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce or 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- In a small saucepan, over med. heat, cook onion in oil until tender, stirring occasionally. Remove saucepan from heat.
- Meanwhile cut lemon in half and refrigerate half. With the half you are using, thinly slice half of that lemon into slices, for garnish, and set the other piece aside until later.
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Grease a 8 1/2x4 1/2" loaf pan.
- Drain tuna. In a lg. bowl, finely flake tuna with a fork.
- Break up bread into crumbs, and add to tuna. Mix well.
- Add onion, lemon juice from the piece left over after slicing, spinach, sour cream, eggs, salt, and pepper. Mix well.
- Spoon tuna mixture into greased pan.
- Bake for 50 mins., or until knife inserted in center comes out clean.
- When tuna loaf is done, cool in pan, on wire rack, for 10 mins., for easier serving.
- Put tuna loaf on warm platter.
- Garnish with lemon slices.
This week's theme on the 'Zaar was meatloaf, and othey had poultry loaves, but no sea food! So, I found this tuna loaf recipe so I had to try it. I'm glad I did! The directions were a bit confusing (Which part of the lemon am I supposed to use? What on earth am I doing with the four slices of bread?), so I used fresh spinach (all I had), omitted the lemon juice (had no idea how much to really use), and used 1 cup of bread crumbs. It was one sorry excuse for a 'loaf,' but it was a great dinner! Next time, I'm going to add at least 1/2 cup more bread crumbs in hopes to make it more 'loaf like', maybe some finely chopped mushrooms, and top with sour cream. Thank you SO much for sharing!