Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is absolutely "THE BEST" frosting in the world... It's an old fashioned recipe that my gram used for years on all her homemade cakes including Wacky, Spice, and her Raisin Cakes. It has been a favorite of my family for over 50 years, and will be passed down to my grandaughter(s), when and if I have some :) I lost this recipe at one point and was frantic, but found it again rummaging through my cookbooks... I was SO HAPPY!!! Try this one and see why... Enjoy!
- 59.14 ml solid Crisco shortening
- 2.46 ml salt
- 9.85 ml vanilla
- 709.77 ml confectioners' sugar, sift if lumpy
- 59.14 ml milk
- In a bowl mix solid Crisco, salt, vanilla, and about 1/3 of the sugar.
- Add milk and remaining sugar alternately. Mix until smooth and creamy.
- Add more sugar to thicken, or milk to thin frosting, if needed, for a good spreading consistency.
- Frosts 2 8 or 9" layers OR 1 13x9x2" cake.
This frosting is really sweet, it goes very well with my healthy version cupcakes, since they're not super sweet. I think paired with a sweet cake/cupcake recipe it might be a little too much. Very yummy and very simple.
I put this frosting on my spiced apple cake!!! ""omg"" deelish!!!! Luv luv this recipe!!! Thankyou for sharing!!
I'm sorry to say I just don't see what the fuss is about. To me this was just about the same as any other buttercream type frosting.