- 1 cup uncooked rolled oats (instant or regular)
- 1 1⁄4 cups boiling water
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons canned evaporated milk
- 1⁄3 cup nuts, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In a shallow bowl, combine rolled oats and boiling water. Let stand for 20 minutes.
- Using a mixer, cream butter until creamy.
- Gradually beat in sugars, and beat until light.
- Blend in eggs and vanilla.
- Mix flour, baking soda, salt, and spices.
- Remove beaters from creamed mixture.
- Stir in rolled oat mixture.
- Fold in flour mixture. Blend well.
- Pour batter into a greased and floured 9" square cake pan.
- Bake for 45-55 minutes Remove from oven, but DO NOT REMOVE CAKE FROM PAN.
- Combine all melted butter. brown sugar, canned milk and nuts. Spread over the hot cake.
- Return the cake to the oven, under the broiler. Broil until the topping is bubbly and tinged with gold. Watch it as it will burn easily.