Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
Old fashioned and YUMMY cake to try... Gram knew how to please :)
- 1 cup uncooked rolled oats (instant or regular)
- 1 1⁄4 cups boiling water
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons canned evaporated milk
- 1⁄3 cup nuts, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In a shallow bowl, combine rolled oats and boiling water. Let stand for 20 minutes.
- Using a mixer, cream butter until creamy.
- Gradually beat in sugars, and beat until light.
- Blend in eggs and vanilla.
- Mix flour, baking soda, salt, and spices.
- Remove beaters from creamed mixture.
- Stir in rolled oat mixture.
- Fold in flour mixture. Blend well.
- Pour batter into a greased and floured 9" square cake pan.
- Bake for 45-55 minutes Remove from oven, but DO NOT REMOVE CAKE FROM PAN.
- Combine all melted butter. brown sugar, canned milk and nuts. Spread over the hot cake.
- Return the cake to the oven, under the broiler. Broil until the topping is bubbly and tinged with gold. Watch it as it will burn easily.
sally had this recipe copied down 2 xs from bulah miller she also used 1 cup nuts or coconut in topping
Really good even without topping. Has a crisp crust. I used allspice about 1/2 teaspoon because I didn't have any nutmeg. Nummy!