Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 45 mins
My gram used to cook all her greens this way, and it is just plain delicious!
- lean salt pork, sliced across the top, a good sized piece
- 1 bunch swiss chard, dandelion, kale, collard, mustard, spinach greens (your choice)
- 4 -6 large potatoes
- apple cider vinegar, to taste
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Wash greens in water, and remove any dirt. Remove stems. Remember these cook down, so pack them down in the pot. If you fill a lg. stock pot, it should feed 4 people.
- Add cleaned greens to pot, and cook 20 mins, then add washed potatoes cut in quarters (they don't have to be peeled).
- Add enough water to cover potatoes, if needed.
- Cook 25-30 minutes longer, or until potatoes are cooked through when tested with a fork. Greens and meat will be tender.
- Drain off water, and serve greens with butter, apple cider vinegar, butter, salt and pepper, along with potatoes with butter.
- You can eat the salt pork along with it too, if you like.
- Makes 4 servings.
I have made this recipe with collards, kale and look forward to using fresh swiss chard from my garden next! Delicious with red and white potatoes. Such a nice change from our regular veggie repoitoire! Thanks!
Very good! I love the fact that these are so low in fat, and so good for you. The potatoes tasted so good, picking up the flavors of the salt pork and greens. What a veggie wonder! We loved them with the vinegar and butter.