Recipe by Linda's Busy Kitchen
We had these a lot growing up, and they were always a real treat... Sweet and delicious, these tiny fish pack a lot of flavor... We always served these with Mashed Potatoes, and Stewed Tomatoes... Some things just go together! WONDERFUL!!!
Top Review by MixingItAllUp
I made some Recipe #16377 to go with the smelts and I tell you, it was a meal I won't soon forget! Comfort foods at their best. I grew up eating smelts (the little ones) and have always loved them. I don't get to eat them too often, but that is about to change! After eating these tender, sweet fish with this delicious muffin mix batter I have found the perfect recipe for us. This is one meal that makes you wonder why you don't have it on your monthly menu plan. Well, you should if you don't! I just put it on mine!
- 907.18-1360.77 g fresh water smelt, small, heads removed and bellys slit and cleaned
- 3-4 eggs
- 240.97 g box Jiffy corn muffin mix
- oil, enough to fill frying pan up about 2-inch
- 2.46 ml salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Buy as many fresh water smelts as you need. They are smaller and sweeter than sea smelts.
- Clean the smelts in cold water, cutting off the heads, and snip down the belly with scissors, to remove the bellies.
- Rinse out the bellies of each one, as you cut and snip the heads.
- Soak in cold water, until you are ready to cook them, or put in fridge.
- When ready to cook you will need:.
- Eggs, beaten in a lg. bowl, enough to dip all your fish in,(depending on how much you are making depends on how many eggs you.
- I use about 3 eggs for 2 lbs. of smelts.
- Jiffy corn muffin mix, (if you are cooking 2-3 lbs. of smelts 1 box will do. If you are doing more, then you will need at least 2 boxes).
- oil, enough to fill the frying pan up about 2".
- salt, to taste.
- Beat the eggs well, and put them in a bowl.
- Put Jiffy corn muffin mix in a lg. plate, and mix in salt, about 1/2 teaspoons per box.
- Put oil in frying pan to get hot. Cook on high heat, letting the pan get hot, before putting in your fish, then turn down the heat to med-high.
- Dip your fish in the egg, and then in the muffin mix.
- Deep fry in at least 2" of oil in a heavy frying pan, until golden brown.
- You can also use this corn muffin mix to cook any other sweet fresh water fish, such as horn pout, or what you may call catfish, bass, white perch etc.