Linda's Busy Kitchen's Note:
We had these a lot growing up, and they were always a real treat... Sweet and delicious, these tiny fish pack a lot of flavor... We always served these with Mashed Potatoes, and Stewed Tomatoes... Some things just go together! WONDERFUL!!!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Buy as many fresh water smelts as you need. They are smaller and sweeter than sea smelts.
- 2Clean the smelts in cold water, cutting off the heads, and snip down the belly with scissors, to remove the bellies.
- 3Rinse out the bellies of each one, as you cut and snip the heads.
- 4Soak in cold water, until you are ready to cook them, or put in fridge.
- 5When ready to cook you will need:.
- 6Eggs, beaten in a lg. bowl, enough to dip all your fish in,(depending on how much you are making depends on how many eggs you.
- 8I use about 3 eggs for 2 lbs. of smelts.
- 9Jiffy corn muffin mix, (if you are cooking 2-3 lbs. of smelts 1 box will do. If you are doing more, then you will need at least 2 boxes).
- 10oil, enough to fill the frying pan up about 2".
- 11salt, to taste.
- 12Beat the eggs well, and put them in a bowl.
- 13Put Jiffy corn muffin mix in a lg. plate, and mix in salt, about 1/2 teaspoons per box.
- 14Put oil in frying pan to get hot. Cook on high heat, letting the pan get hot, before putting in your fish, then turn down the heat to med-high.
- 15Dip your fish in the egg, and then in the muffin mix.
- 16Deep fry in at least 2" of oil in a heavy frying pan, until golden brown.
- 17You can also use this corn muffin mix to cook any other sweet fresh water fish, such as horn pout, or what you may call catfish, bass, white perch etc.
Browse Our Top Freshwater Fish Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Freshwater Fish Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Grammie Bea's Fried Smelts
Serving Size: 1 (325 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1176.8
- Calories from Fat 326
- Total Fat 36.2 g
- Saturated Fat 8.6 g
- Cholesterol 728.2 mg
- Sodium 2374.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 84.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.8 g
- Sugars 25.0 g
- Protein 120.4 g