Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
We had these a lot growing up, and they were always a real treat... Sweet and delicious, these tiny fish pack a lot of flavor... We always served these with Mashed Potatoes, and Stewed Tomatoes... Some things just go together! WONDERFUL!!!
- Buy as many fresh water smelts as you need. They are smaller and sweeter than sea smelts.
- Clean the smelts in cold water, cutting off the heads, and snip down the belly with scissors, to remove the bellies.
- Rinse out the bellies of each one, as you cut and snip the heads.
- Soak in cold water, until you are ready to cook them, or put in fridge.
- When ready to cook you will need:.
- Eggs, beaten in a lg. bowl, enough to dip all your fish in,(depending on how much you are making depends on how many eggs you.
- I use about 3 eggs for 2 lbs. of smelts.
- Jiffy corn muffin mix, (if you are cooking 2-3 lbs. of smelts 1 box will do. If you are doing more, then you will need at least 2 boxes).
- oil, enough to fill the frying pan up about 2".
- salt, to taste.
- Beat the eggs well, and put them in a bowl.
- Put Jiffy corn muffin mix in a lg. plate, and mix in salt, about 1/2 teaspoons per box.
- Put oil in frying pan to get hot. Cook on high heat, letting the pan get hot, before putting in your fish, then turn down the heat to med-high.
- Dip your fish in the egg, and then in the muffin mix.
- Deep fry in at least 2" of oil in a heavy frying pan, until golden brown.
- You can also use this corn muffin mix to cook any other sweet fresh water fish, such as horn pout, or what you may call catfish, bass, white perch etc.