Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
I'm not a fan of raisins, but I always LOVED this wonderful cake... It goes great with Grammie Bea's Special Vanilla Frosting.
- 2 cups raisins
- 4 cups cold water
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 tablespoons Crisco shortening, softened
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 4 cups flour
- Put raisins in water in pan, and boil for 5 minutes.
- Let cool, then pour liquid from raisins (2 c.) into cup, and set aside to put in cake.
- Cream sugar, Crisco, and add spices.
- Dissolve baking soda in the raisin liquid that was set aside.
- Add flour and raisins.
- Beat by hand, until creamy.
- Grease and flour a large (10x15x2") cake pan.
- Bake at 350°, until cake springs back in the middle, about 45-60 minutes, checking often.
- Cool, and frost with vanilla frosting.
- Note~For a smaller cake, cut recipe in half, and bake in a loaf pan.
I had company coming yesterday and wanted to have a special cake to share. I made this without mishap in the kitchen and it came out wonderfully. I have to tell you it makes one beautiful cake. Similar to a spice cake with raisins and it got rave reviews from everyone. I made it using Recipe #218589 of course! No wonder you liked this cake even though you don't like raisins Linda, because I'm not crazy about them, but I had 2 pieces of this cake along with some vanilla ice cream! My sister and friend asked for the recipe, which I always take as a compliment. Five stars all the way with this one!
I made this delicious cake and then frosted it with Recipe #118878. The cake was moist and very tasty. Loved the texture of the cake! The cake was so delicious with this frosting. Thanks for posting! Alexa