Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
I'm not a fan of raisins, but I always LOVED this wonderful cake... It goes great with Grammie Bea's Special Vanilla Frosting.
- 2 cups raisins
- 4 cups cold water
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 tablespoons Crisco shortening, softened
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 4 cups flour
- Put raisins in water in pan, and boil for 5 minutes.
- Let cool, then pour liquid from raisins (2 c.) into cup, and set aside to put in cake.
- Cream sugar, Crisco, and add spices.
- Dissolve baking soda in the raisin liquid that was set aside.
- Add flour and raisins.
- Beat by hand, until creamy.
- Grease and flour a large (10x15x2") cake pan.
- Bake at 350°, until cake springs back in the middle, about 45-60 minutes, checking often.
- Cool, and frost with vanilla frosting.
- Note~For a smaller cake, cut recipe in half, and bake in a loaf pan.
I had company coming yesterday and wanted to have a special cake to share. I made this without mishap in the kitchen and it came out wonderfully. I have to tell you it makes one beautiful cake. Similar to a spice cake with raisins and it got rave reviews from everyone. I made it using Grammie Bea's Special Vanilla Frosting of course! No wonder you liked this cake even though you don't like raisins Linda, because I'm not crazy about them, but I had 2 pieces of this cake along with some vanilla ice cream! My sister and friend asked for the recipe, which I always take as a compliment. Five stars all the way with this one!
I made this delicious cake and then frosted it with Angela's Pineapple Coconut Cream Cheese Frosting. The cake was moist and very tasty. Loved the texture of the cake! The cake was so delicious with this frosting. Thanks for posting! Alexa