Prep 25 mins
Cook 10 mins
These pickles are the best, crispiest bread and butter pickles you will ever taste... They are so yummy! Great addition to add on the side of any sandwich plate, great with beans and hot dogs, chili, burgers and potato salad etc. If you love pickles, this is one you should definitely try!
- 12 large cucumbers, skins on
- 4 medium onions
- 1 green pepper
- 3⁄4 cup salt (added to 3 quarts cold water)
- 1 quart vinegar
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons cloves
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 2 cups sugar
- Wash cucumbers and pepper.
- Cut cucumbers and onions in slices 1/4-1/2" thick.
- Cut pepper into thin strips and then cut into thirds.
- Soak all overnight in salted water.
- When ready to make pickles:.
- Put 1 quart vinegar in a large pan or kettle.
- Add cloves, black pepper, celery seed, mustard seed, turmeric powder, and sugar.
- Drain the liquid out of cukes, pepper and onions. Add them into the vinegar mixture in the kettle.
- Bring to a good scald, almost a boil.
- Next, sterilize jars in boiling water in a large canning pan, or whatever you are using.
- Add the pickle mixture to the jars, and seal while hot.
- Make sure seals are down.
- Note: Preparation time does not include soaking the cucumbers and onions overnight, or sterilizing the jars.
For optimum safety, the filled jars (both pints and quarts) should be boiling water bathed for ten minutes at elevations 0 to 1000 feet, 15 minutes at elevations 1001-6000 feet and 20 minutes at higher elevations. After processing and cooling, jars should be stored for 4 or 5 weeks to develop fullest flavor.
After trying Grammie Bea's Mustard Pickles my wife decided to try making these, so I picked up some pickling cucumbers for her to make them. They are sweet and delicious! If you like bread and butter pickles, these are a must try! Don
We had an over abundance of cukes in the garden and I decided I better do some canning. These pickles are so good! They are crunchy and sweet and went great with our hot dogs and hamburgers off the grill last night. These won't be around long if my DS and DD have anything to say about it. They loved them too! Thanks for sharing! Cindy