Recipe by Linda's Busy Kitchen
My gram considered this to be her "BEST" yellow cake...It was WONDERFUL! Try it, you'll LOVE it! My gram used chocolate frosting lots of times, and then sprinkled chopped walnuts all over the top. Sometimes she would use Grammie Bea's Special Vanilla Frosting instead... YUM! Keep in mind this is a "homemade" cake not a "box" cake. It has a heavy, moist texture a lot like Wacky Cake. Note: Don't over bake. Check cake at 30 mins. and every 5 mins. after, until a toothpick stuck in the middle of the cake comes out clean.
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 2⁄3 cups sugar
- 3 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1⁄4 cups milk
- 2⁄3 cup Crisco
- 3 eggs, unbeaten (2/3 c.)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix thoroughly by hand 300 strokes or 2 minutes at med. speed with mixer. Scrape bowl frequently during mixing.
- Add eggs and vanilla, and again mix by hand 300 strokes, or 2 minutes at med speed with mixer.
- Pour batter into greased and floured 9x13" or two 9" round pans, and bake in 350 oven.
- Bake 9" layer pans 30-35 minutes.
- Bake 9x13" pan 40-45 minutes.
- Let cakes cool for 10 minutes in layer pans, then remove onto a cooling rack until cool.
- If you use the 9x13" pan keep the cake right in the pan and frost when cool.