Recipe by I Cook Therefore I Am
My Gramma makes this potato soup every year at christmas, and although she used to put ham in it, she stopped just for me when I stopped eating meat. Oddly enough the family actually liked it better without the meat!
- 4 -5 potatoes, cubed
- 6 -7 celery ribs, diced
- 1 -2 small white onion, diced
- 1⁄2 cup white rice
- 2 (16 ounce) cans vegetable broth
- 1 (6 ounce) can sliced mushrooms
- 1 quart half-and-half
- 1⁄2 lb butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Put one can of vegetable broth and the rice in a large pot.
- Bring to a boil, turn down heat and simmer 10 min, or until rice is tender.
- Add the onion and celery to the pot, as well as the other can of vegetable broth.
- Simmer 10-15 minutes, or until onions and celery are tender.
- Add the potatoes and 2 cups of water, or enough so that the potatoes are about 2\3 covered.
- Cover and simmer until potatoes are tender but not mushy.
- Add the half and half and the butter and heat on low heat until the soup is thick.
- Make sure to use a wooden or plastic spoon to scrape the bottom of the pot occasionally
- At the last minute, drain the mushrooms and add them.