Recipe by Aroostook
An old-fashion cornmeal batter bread that is a treat. Makes four beautiful crusty loaves.
Top Review by Missy Wombat
Very easy recipe. I baked this recipe in a loaf tin, a Tupperware silicon kugelhopf form and on a baking sheet as a plain bread. They all worked. I was a little worried that after 9 cups of flour that the mix would be a little dry. However a bit of enthusiastic kneading fixed that and the texture works well.
- 4 cups boiling water
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 4 tablespoons shortening
- 1 cup molasses
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 packages yeast, dissolved in water
- 1⁄4 cup tepid water
- 9 cups flour
Directions See How It's Made
- Pour hot water over cornmeal and stir well.
- Let stand for 20 minutes.
- Dissolve yeast in warm water& let stand for 5 minutes.
- Add shortening, molasses and salt to cornmeal mixture.
- Stir in dissolved yeast.
- Stir in flour and beat thoroughly.
- Spoon into 4 greased loaf pans, cover and let raise until doubled.
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Bake for 50 minutes.
- Remove from pans and let cool on racks.