Prep 30 mins
Cook 3 hrs
Got tired of same old pot roast so decided to spice things up a bit. Decided to try parsnips and rutabaga instead of potatoes. Yummy!! Even my husband liked it and he is a fuss pot. The meat will melt in your mouth.
- 5 lbs chuck roast (boneless or bone-in with as much fat removed as possible)
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- 1 can Rotel Tomatoes, w/chilies mild
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 carrots, pared & cut into slices
- 1 rutabaga, pared and cut into bite-size cubes
- 3 parsnips, pared and cut into slices
- Pre-heat oven to 350 deg.
- Flour the chuck roast; do not discard remaining flour.
- Brown in olive oil in hot frying pan.
- Transfer meat to good sized baking dish with a cover.
- Brown onions, garlic and celery in same pan in which you browned meat.
- Stir in remaining flour then transfer to all baking dish.
- Add tomatoes to frying pan to get all the browned bits, then put into baking dish.
- Add bay leaf.
- Cover and cook for 2 hours.
- Remove from oven and add vegetables.
- Cook for ½ hour.
- Taste for flavor.
- Add salt, if necessary.
- Cook for another ½ hour.
- Remove from oven.
- Put meat on platter surrounded by vegetables.
- Serve gravy separately.