Prep 15 mins
Cook 50 mins
This inexpensive, hearty soup is perfect for everyone. Use whatever combination of grains you wish (as long as it equals 1/2 cup), likewise use whatever vegetables you wish.
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon margarine or 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic
- 6 cups chicken stock (vegetable stock makes this a vegetarian/vegan soup)
- 2 tablespoons barley
- 3 tablespoons long-grain rice
- 3 tablespoons green lentils
- 2 carrots, scraped and diced
- 2 cups diced, peeled rutabagas
- 2 cups thinly sliced cabbage
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- salt and pepper
- In a large saucepan, melt butter (or heat oil) over medium heat and cook the onion until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic, stock, grains and vegetables EXCEPT cabbage; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add cabbage and dried herbs; simmer for about 15 more minutes or until vegetables and grains are all tender.
- Stir in fresh parsley, taste, and add salt and pepper if you wish.
I added more grain and used tapioca instead of rutabaga, resulting in a delicious stew-like concoction. Great stuff! Thanks for this delicious recipe.
This is a real stick to the ribs soup. Great flavor - the flavor is rather hard to discribe it is almost spicy but yet suble, it must be the just right combination of veggies and herbs. As said inexpensive and very satisfying. It is a meal in a bowl and produces 6 generous servings. I used a combination or brown rice, Barley & mixed lentils Thanks Lernnie
This was wonderful! I added a can of Rotel tomatoes and I used broccoli instead of the rutabagas. I may add some mushrooms next time. It is super easy and the very flavor rich. I highly recommend it.