Recipe by Lennie
This inexpensive, hearty soup is perfect for everyone. Use whatever combination of grains you wish (as long as it equals 1/2 cup), likewise use whatever vegetables you wish.
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon margarine or 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic
- 6 cups chicken stock (vegetable stock makes this a vegetarian/vegan soup)
- 2 tablespoons barley
- 3 tablespoons long-grain rice
- 3 tablespoons green lentils
- 2 carrots, scraped and diced
- 2 cups diced, peeled rutabagas
- 2 cups thinly sliced cabbage
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large saucepan, melt butter (or heat oil) over medium heat and cook the onion until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic, stock, grains and vegetables EXCEPT cabbage; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add cabbage and dried herbs; simmer for about 15 more minutes or until vegetables and grains are all tender.
- Stir in fresh parsley, taste, and add salt and pepper if you wish.