Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is a tangy mustard - no sugar- It can be kept in the fridge for up to 3 weeks. Goes well with ham.The vinegar & beer measurements are apprx. You use only enough to make a paste and then to thin the mustard to the consistency that you want. Pour vinegar in slowly so you do not pour in too much, the same with the beer. You may substitute water for the beer.
- 1 cup brown mustard seeds
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup mustard powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup beer
- Crack the mustard seeds in a coffee or spice grinder - do not pulverize them just crack them.
- Stir in enought vinegar to make a thick paste.
- Combine mustard powder with the salt, stir in enough beer to make a thick paste.
- Mix the two pastes together and add enough beer to make a smooth pasty consistency.
- Place in a closed jar and store in the fridge.
Excellent!! I have been making Zaar mustards for a long time (don't buy any at all). This is a great addition to my recipe collection of mustards. Tangy yet very different from some of the other mustards. I've put this is bread dough!! Thanks Bergy!!