Prep 30 mins
Cook 3 hrs
Superb bread. from bob's red mill website
- 4 cups boiling water
- 1⁄2 cup cracked red wheat berries
- 1⁄2 cup millet
- 1⁄3 cup honey
- 3 tablespoons yeast
- 1⁄2 cup oats
- 1⁄2 cup coarse cornmeal
- 1⁄2 cup dry nonfat dry milk powder
- 1⁄4 cup wheat germ
- 2 teaspoons coarse sea salt
- 1 cup shelled sunflower seeds
- 7 cups whole wheat flour
- egg wash
- 1⁄4 cup egg substitute
- 1 tablespoon water
- coarse sea salt
- combine water, wheat berries, and millet in a saucepan. bring to a boil and cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
- stir in honey.
- cool to lukewarm.
- stir in yeast until dissolved and let sit for about 3 minutes.
- add oats, cornmeal, dry milk, wheat germ, salt, and sunflower seeds. stir.
- add whole wheat flour.
- knead for 6-8 minutes.
- cover with plastic wrap and a towel and let rise for 1 hour.
- punch down and divide in half into 2 loaf pans sprayed with cooking spray.
- cover and let rise for an hour.
- mix egg substitute and water.
- cut 3 diaganal slashes in top of each loaf. brush with egg wash and sprinkle with coarse salt.
- bake at 375 degrees for 40-45 minutes.