1 hr 15 mins
Great easy dish that everyone loves.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- cooking spray
- 177.44 ml chopped onion
- 1 fennel bulb, chopped, about 1 1/2 cups
- 7.39 ml oil
- 1-3 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 177.44 ml red peppers, orange, and or 1 yellow bell pepper, about 1 medium, sliced thin
- 236.59 ml pearl barley
- 4.92 ml dried thyme
- 4.92 ml dried marjoram
- 946.36-1182.95 ml vegetable broth
- 236.59 ml spinach leaves, torn into pieces
- 59.14 ml grated parmesan cheese
- 29.58 ml finely-chopped fresh basil
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1Generously coat a large heavy pot with spray oil and place over medium-high heat.
- 2Add the onions and fennel and saute until tender, 5 to 10 minutes.
- 3Add oil and heat until hot.
- 4Add the garlic and bell peppers and saute lightly for 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in barley, thyme, marjoram and broth.
- 5Bring to a boil, immediate reduce heat to low and simmer until the liquid is almost absorbed, stirring occasionally, 40 to 50 minutes or until barley is tender.
- 6Midway through the cooking process, add salt and pepper to taste.
- 7When barley is cooked, add spinach, cheese and basil. Stir to blend and adjust seasonings with salt and pepper, to taste.
Browse Our Top Grains Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Grains Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Grain and Greens
Serving Size: 1 (123 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 174.1
- Calories from Fat 26
- Total Fat 2.9 g
- Saturated Fat 0.9 g
- Cholesterol 3.6 mg
- Sodium 92.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 32.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.4 g
- Sugars 1.9 g
- Protein 6.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: