Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
Great easy dish that everyone loves.
- cooking spray
- 3⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 1 fennel bulb, chopped, about 1 1/2 cups
- 1⁄2 tablespoon oil
- 1 -3 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 3⁄4 cup red peppers, orange, and or 1 yellow bell pepper, about 1 medium, sliced thin
- 1 cup pearl barley
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 4 -5 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup spinach leaves, torn into pieces
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons finely-chopped fresh basil
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Generously coat a large heavy pot with spray oil and place over medium-high heat.
- Add the onions and fennel and saute until tender, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Add oil and heat until hot.
- Add the garlic and bell peppers and saute lightly for 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in barley, thyme, marjoram and broth.
- Bring to a boil, immediate reduce heat to low and simmer until the liquid is almost absorbed, stirring occasionally, 40 to 50 minutes or until barley is tender.
- Midway through the cooking process, add salt and pepper to taste.
- When barley is cooked, add spinach, cheese and basil. Stir to blend and adjust seasonings with salt and pepper, to taste.